As part of our effort to support an infrastructure of collaboration between researchers, lawyers and advocates, we believe in the importance for The Civil Rights Project to conduct conferences, briefings and trainings.
Many of our conferences are envisioned to foster debate and draw experts from several distinct areas, commissioned for further research by The Civil Rights Project.
Upcoming and Recent Events
- Do Higher Ed Accountability Proposals Narrow Opportunity For Minority Students and Minority-Serving Institutions? (U.S. Capitol Visitors Center, Congressional Auditorium & Atrium, from Sep 02, 2014 09:00 AM to Sep 02, 2014 12:00 PM)
- Students of color have not achieved equal opportunity for higher education and many of the institutions that serve them are struggling with economic and policy challenges. Some critics of the Obama Administration claim that recent accountability and financial aid policy changes would close the door to college for many deserving students.
- Segregation, Immigration, and Educational Inequality: Conference Overview (Ghent University, Ghent Belgium , from Sep 21, 2013 08:00 AM to Sep 22, 2013 05:00 PM)
- The Civil Rights Project, Ghent University, Université Libre de Bruxelles and the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies are cosponsoring a research conference next fall – September 21 and 22, 2013 -- on issues of segregation and inequality in European and North American schools, focusing on the relationship with immigration and various forms of diversity and social cleavage. This conference aims to bring together new research addressing these themes as well as examining explicitly comparative work using the best available data.
- Racial Transformation in the Suburbs: Do Public Schools Have A Plan? (Moore Hall 100, UCLA Campus , from May 09, 2013 06:30 PM to May 09, 2013 08:00 PM)
- The Speaking of Education Lectures at the UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies continue with Gary Orfield and Lorrie Frasure-Yokley discussing their new book
- Closing the School Discipline Gap: Research to Practice (from Jan 10, 2013 08:30 AM to Jan 10, 2013 05:00 PM)
- A one-day conference exploring the impacts of exclusionary school-discipline practices, research-based approaches to reducing the discipline gap, and efforts to end the school-to-prison pipeline.